Welcome to the Institute of Biological Engineering
The Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE) was established to encourage inquiry and interest in biological engineering.
The 21st century presents global challenges in the environment, resources, energy, health, and sustainability. The Institute of Biological Engineering supports the community of scientists and engineers that are addressing these problems through biological systems analysis and design. We do this through enhancing and promoting biological engineering in the broadest manner through research, education, and professional development.
The emerging discipline of biological engineering lies at the interfaces of biological sciences, engineering sciences, mathematics and computational sciences. It applies biological systems to enhance of the quality and diversity of life.
2014 Annual Conference
Save the Date!
IBE 19th Annual Conference
March 6-8, 2014
Abstract Submissions: Click here to submit. Deadline is December 11, 2013.
Call for Abstracts - click here for information
IBE Bioethics Essay Contest - click here for information. Deadline is December 5, 2013.
IBE Student Poster Presentation Competition - click here for information. Deadline is December 2, 2013.
Dr. Craig Criddle
Professor of Environmental Engineering & Science
IBE Councilors Meet in Lexington, Kentucky
Hosted by President Czarena Crofcheck, many of the IBE council members met in Lexington, Kentucky, on October 28th and 29th to discuss the upcoming Annual Meeting, membership initiatives, and many other issues relevant to IBE's membership and growth. The meeting took place on the campus of the University of Kentucky. Several council members who could not join the meeting were able to participate via conference call.
The mid-year councilor meeting takes place each fall and is instrumental to the success of IBE, as council members are given the opportunity to come together to discuss the most timely issues for IBE, whether industry, membership, or education related. This year's meeting was extremely productive, and included some initiatives that will take effect during the 2014 Annual Meeting. While in Lexington, the councilors were given the opportunity to tour the Hilton Downtown Lexington, site of the 2014 conference, followed by an authentically 'Kentucky' dining experience!
From left, clockwise: Sudha Verma, Courtney Devine, Czarena Crofcheck, Melissa Moss, Ben Stuart, Asif Rahmann, Ryan Putman, Ron Sims, Prem Parajuli, Brian Doty. Not pictured: Brahm Verma.
Congratulations to the 2013 IBE Conference Award Winners!
- Eric McLamore – Annual Meeting Co-Chair
- Liju Yang – Annual Meeting Co-Chair
- Praveen Kolar – Chair, Bioethics Essay Competition
- Melissa Moss – Poster Session Competition Chair
- Mark Eiteman – Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Biological Engineering
- Lisa Wilken – outgoing Councilor-at-Large
- Soonjo Kwon - outgoing Councilor-at-Large
- Praveen Kolar - outgoing Councilor-at-Large
- Mark Haidekker - outgoing Councilor-at-Large
- Bill Batchelor – Past President
- Jessica Calkins – outgoing Graduate Councilor-at-Large
- Max Song – outgoing Undergraduate Councilor-at-Large
- Guigen Zhang, Chair, 2013 BioBusiness Nexus Session
- Tom Richard – Chair, 2013 iGem North American Jamboree
- Stefan Zauscher – Outstanding Session Chair Organizer
- Darlene Taylor – Outstanding Session Chair Organizer
- Ronald Sims: Immediate Past President
Bioethics Essay Competition
- First Place: Ariel Isser, University of Maryland
- Second Place: Renee Mitchell, University of Maryland
- Third Place: Kristina Dziki, University of Maryland
- Honorable Mention: Ryan Putman, Utah State University
- Grand Prize: Ryan Putman, Asif Rahman, Charles Barentine, Andrea Halling, Brian Smith, Federico Rodriguez, Elizabeth Martinez, Thomas Harris, Cameron Copeland, Cody Tramp, Joshua Ellis, Charles Miller: Utah State University; Kathleen Miller, Logan High School; Swetha Chandrasekar, Cooper Union; Jamal Abdinor, University of Utah
- First Place: Anne Elise Creamer, Lauren McPhillips, M. Todd Walter: Cornell University
- Second Place: Grace Justinvil, Stephanie Burrs, Diana Vanegas, Eric McLamore: University of Florida
Third Place: Ben Clarkson, Becca Evans, Betsy Gammon, Meredith Nakano, Caroline Vrana, Laurie Heyer, A. Malcolm Campbell: Davidson College
Caleb Carr, David Carr, Eddie Miles, Jerrad Morton, Sachith Polpitaya, Kamay Trueblood, Todd Eckdahl, Jeffrey Poet: Missouri Western State University
- Grand Prize: Kandy Napan, Whitney Morgan, Jixun Zhan, Thomas Anderson, Jon Takemoto: Utah State University
- First Place: Asif Rahman, Ronald Sims, Charles Miller: Utah State University
- Second Place: Hadi Nazem-Bokaee, Ryan Senger: Virginia Tech
Third Place: Joshua Ellis, Neal Hengge, Ronald Sims and Charles Miller: Utah State University
- Engineered cell-cell communication within DNA messaging
- Monica Ortiz, Drew Endy
2013 Election Results
Thank you for casting your vote to determine your newest 2013 IBE Council members. The winners are:
Ben J. Stuart
Councilors at Large
How to Get Involved in IBE
There are many ways to stay involved in IBE: